Monday, October 01, 2007

Kodak Survey Shows that Professional Photographers Remain Ardent Users of Film

I just got this email from Kodak about a recent survey they ran. I read the article and and my "jawbone hit the floor". Here is the first sentence from the article. "ROCHESTER, N.Y., Sept. 19 -- A survey of more than 9,000 professional photographers in the U.S. shows that film continues to have an avid following, with 75 percent of photographers saying they will continue to use film, even as some embrace digital imaging technology. Read the whole article right here. I had to check the century to see when the article was written. During our Digital WakeUp Call tour last year, I surveyed nearly 9000 photographers with the same question. Our results showed only 5% at the most still used any film at all, 90% shot digital exclusively, and 5-6% of them never shot film before. Anyway, you got me, I love Kodak. They have been very supportive of professional photographers and their professional associations as long as I've been in the business. I just don't know where Kodak got the numbers, maybe I'm missing something here. So, how about one more survey - Do you shoot "All Digital, Part Digital/Part Film, All Film?" Please cast your vote in the right column.

2 comments:

  1. David,
    We should keep in mind these words: "of those responding to the survey". Then ask, "Are those responding to both surveys, representative of the entire population of professional photographers?" Answer: No. Thus, the results cannot be projected to the entire population of professional photographers.

    In addition, those responding to a survey by Kodak MAY have a bias toward film and those attending your Digital Wakeup Call MAY have a bias toward digital. And this is NOT a problem.

    Al Schupmann
    Master Class, Fall 2007

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Al,
    I've actually contacted Kodak to get the rest of the story. I'll keep you posted. --David

    ReplyDelete